2012/09/18

John Lee Hooker - Mr. Lucky

Godfather of Blues, John Lee Hooker was a singer-songwriter and blues guitarist. He was born in Mississippi in 1917, left home at fifteen, went on to work in Memphis, Tennessee and ended up in Detroit, Michigan in 1943 where his popularity grew quickly when his recording career began.
John Lee Hooker

John Lee Hooker was known for his trademark 'talking blues' style, incorporating the boogie-woogie piano and the use of his electric guitar bringing together the Delta blues with the post-war electric blues. John Lee Hooker recorded hundreds of singles and albums over the years. Two of his hit songs, 'Boogie Chillen' released in 1948 and 'Boom Boom' in 1961 are both named in the list of 'The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll'.

John Lee Hooker's single 'Mr. Lucky' was originally released in 1967 on Bluesway Records a track recorded for his album 'Urban Blues'. Hooker released another version of ‘Mr. Lucky’ with Robert Cray in 1991 for the title track of his album ‘Mr. Lucky’. This album has some of the biggest names in modern blues and rock making appearances; Ry Cooder, Carlos Santana, Johnny Winter, Albert Collins, John Hammond, Van Morrison, Keith Richards and Robert Cray.

This is a great live recording of 'Mr. Lucky' performed by John Lee Hooker with Robert Cray.




They call me, Mr. Lucky
Bad luck don't follow me
They call me, Mr. Lucky
Bad luck don't follow me
Everything I touches turn to gold
That mean I can't do no wrong

I woke early one mornin'
Mr. Lucky, standin' by my bed
I woke early one mornin'
Mr. Lucky, standin' by my bed
I listened to him real closely
This is what he said

You was born for good luck, Johnny
Bad luck can't do you no harm
You was born for good luck
Bad luck can't do you no harm
I guarantee you'll never go wrong
That's why they call me, Mr. Lucky

Bad luck don't follow me
That's why they call me, Mr. Lucky
Bad luck don't follow me
Everything I touches turn to gold
I never felt misery

Another great version of 'Mr. Lucky' that I truly enjoy, appears on the album 'Strictly Whatever' recorded by Canadian guitar masters, Harry Manx and Kevin Breit. Worth checking out!

No comments:

Post a Comment